Matt and I have learned that our thumbs are any color but green. In fact, we now know that we are just not do-it-yourselfers in any sense. We usually just end up frustrated and disappointed in the outcome of whatever project we attempt. Because of this, buying a new house with no landscaping was a big mistake. In our two years in this house we have done basically nothing to our yard. We planted some bushes, one of which we killed with bug spray stuff. My parents however, are quiet good at lawn & gardening projects so while they were here for the holiday weekend we put them to work. We dug out (note: when I say "we" I mean "they") the bushes that have been not growing for nearly two years and the grass around them. Then we put down compost then top soil and mulch with white bricks as a border - which we (again, not really me) lifted from a nearby house being built. Don't worry, they were in the trash pile. After that, I placed the bushes where I wanted them as well as 2 Lantanas, 3 Mexican Heather and 2 Esperanzas. Here's the result:
Planting the bushes the first time around. Notice the sod still hadn't taken yet.

The front of the house back in July of 2008. (Pregnant with Connor here.)

Closer up, November 2008. (Connor's first walk in the stroller.)

July 2010


See that ladder? I brought it to them!




I also got them to hang my welcome sign that's been in my garage for over a year now!

I have bigger visions and hopes for flower beds, trees and lush landscaping but the bottom line is those things take time and money and most of all, sweat! I don't like that. This may be as good as it gets folks - and I appreciate others sweating to make it happen!
This cracked me up! I kill EVERYTHING! I can't grow a plant to save my life. And, Johann hates yardwork. We have found that apartment life is suiting us quite well in this respect:) I hope you can keep your lovely new yard alive! Thank goodness for parents who help:)
ReplyDelete