Monday, March 14, 2011

Cabinet Refinishing

Since we bought our house we have disliked the finish on our cabinets. After seeing how easily some friends re-stained theirs we mustered the courage to do ours. We started with the smallest ones, our hall bathroom. Here's the evidence:

Sorry I didn't get any before pictures.First Matt removed all the doors and hardware. Then we lightly sanded everything to create a rough surface.


If tools are involved, you better believe Connor is right there in the mix!


And if Big Brother is doing it, by golly so is Cameron.

Then I wiped off all the dust.

Next I painted on the first coat of stain and let it completely dry.


The instructions said to use a fine grade steel wool and lightly rough up the first coat. Then I wiped off the dust again and allowed it to dry. Last I painted on the final coat and allowed to dry for several hours.



Some re-assembling was required.



And the final product...


1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I can see it was a family project.

    ReplyDelete